The Mahony Historic District
The Mahony Historic District is a residential area located north of the downtown commercial district in El Dorado, Arkansas. The composition and usage of the neighborhood is residential and it contains one church and one funerary business, housed in a former residence. The neighborhood comprising the Mahony Historic District contains 163 buildings and is located in portions of five additions to the City of El Dorado platted during the period from 1908 to 1923. Construction was intense in the neighborhood during the 1920s when 119 (73 percent) of the buildings in the historic district were constructed. A second, but smaller, period of growth in the neighborhood is reflected in the 32 residences build in the 1940s and 1950s. The buildings in the Mahony Historic District represent varied residential architectural styles popular during the period 1900-1961 when all but five of the district's buildings were constructed. The district's architectural variety is characterized in its eclectic strain of modesty expressed Colonial Revival, Craftsman/Bungalow, Minimal Traditional and early vernacular Ranch styles.
Of the 163 buildings located in the Mahony Historic District, 94 (58 percent) contribute to the historic significance of the neighborhood while 69 (42 percent) are considered non-contributing. The buildings in the district retain their overall massing and setback. As a group, the buildings in the district retain the historic character of the early 20th-Century working-class neighborhood build as El Dorado expanded north of downtown following the discovery of oil nearby in 1921 and the resulting rapid population increase.
Construction of the Emon O. Mahony house at 508 Champagnolle Road began in 1898 and was completed in 1900. It is a two-story Neo-Classical Revival style house is set back on a block-size lot on Champagnolle Road, anchoring the southeast corner of the neighborhood. The Mahony Addition was platted in 1908. The Emon O. Mahony House is currently Young’s Mortuary (pictured right) next to St. Mary’s Episcopal Church.